She’s the first person you see when you need forms or are signing your child in late:) She’s Ms. Wilkes, the front office administrative assistant, and after Monday she will be taking a leave of absence to receive treatment for cancer. She’s beat cancer once, and we are rooting for a repeat performance!
So show your support for her fight and gratitude for all she does…
Monday – dress your child in pink (you can, too!) and bring her a card or small present from your family.
Let’s show Ms. Wilkes that Peabody cares.
Is your child curious? Does she like to write stories?
Then maybe your child should join Peabody’s newest club –
The Cub Reporter Club
Cub Reporters will create a multimedia website all about our favorite school – Peabody Elementary!
Students from the University of Memphis Department of Journalism
and a faculty member from the department will give tips and help with editing!
Cub Reporters is only open to 5th graders and there are just 12 spots.
The Cub Reporter Club is sponsored by:
The U of M student chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists
The U of M student chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists
You can get first priority for this club and others by attending the Title I meeting this Thursday, Sept. 22nd @ 6 pm in the Peabody Cafetorium.
The BBQ was yummy, the patio was hopping, and the kids were in rare form!
Tuesday was Spirit Night at Central BBQ on Central Avenue. Ten percent of the evening’s proceeds were donated to Peabody Elementary!
Thank you Peabody Adopter – Central BBQ!
See pics from our Spirit Night at Chick-fil-A
Let’s ‘Light the Way’ for runners at this Friday’s Cooper-Young 4-Miler! Join in the fun as neighbors throughout Cooper-Young hold ‘Light the Way‘ parties to cheer on the runners. Bring flashlights or glo sticks so your kids can help light up the race route that runs right outside Peabody Elementary on Young Ave!
Pack a picnic, grab some chairs or a blanket, and we’ll all get together on the front grounds and steps of Peabody. It will be a fun night for fellowship and to show the community that Peabody loves Cooper-Young!
When: Friday, Sept. 16th
Where: Front grounds of Peabody Elementary
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Bring if you wish: Flashlights, glo sticks, pom pons, signs to cheer the runners, a picnic (if you want to eat), chair or blanket
Wear if you wish: A royal blue shirt. Show your Peabody Pride!
The race starts at 7:00 – but streets start closing for the race route at 6:15. If you’d like to park close to the school – try to get there by 6:00!
Our generous school adopters, Central BBQ, are holding the first ‘Spirit Night’ of the school year! Eat at Central BBQ on Central Ave. this Tuesday evening and 10% of all proceeds will go to Peabody Elementary! The proceeds come from all sales after 5 p.m. – but let them know you’re there for Peabody Elementary, and it will make them feel all warm inside:)
When: Tuesday, Sept. 13th
Where: Central BBQ, 2249 Central Ave.
Time: 5:00 – 9:00 p.m.
Share this on FB and via email with your friends and neighbors!
Satisfy your Central BBQ craving and help Peabody Elementary – doesn’t get much better than that.
Many thanks to Peabody Kindergarten mom Sharon Ammons who created the images for our new Peabody Adopters Board! The board is located in the front entrance of the school. Our adopters are local businesses and organizations that regularly help Peabody Elementary with publicty, gifts-in-kind, talent, and other resources. Please thank our local adopters with your gratitude and business:)
Click here to see all of our adopters.
If you are interested in being an adopter or want to help Peabody get more adopters – please email Sharon Ammons at email@example.com
It may feel like the school year has just begun, but Peabody’s PTA is already rolling. Here’s an update from our fearless leaders – Mandy Grisham and Tiffany Richmond
1. We have a PARLIAMENTARIAN!! Joann Massey is one busy lady running around working for the governor, but she has a lot of experience with parliamentary procedures from previous PTA involvement and has offered to be present at our meetings to guide us in our decision making. Thank you so much, Joann!!
2. We have a BYLAWS officer!! Leslie Zapol is a kindergarten mom with a degree in English who said she’d be happy to rewrite the bylaws with the team when it comes time!!
3. We ordered the TRIPLE SHOOT-OUT!! It will be delivered next month!
5. We are ready to MAKEOVER THE LIBRARY!!!
We have met with Mr. Malone and came up with a plan. We will be ordering a large rug
with many bean bags for a reading nook. We will also schedule a work day to create “milk crate benches” to seat underneath all of the windows and create little window seats for reading. And we’re thrilled to have secured a muralist who will work at a significant discount creating three murals above the bookshelves. Also, Ms. Vondran will be working with After-Care kids to create artwork to display on the top shelf of all of the bookcases. They will be recreating or redesigning the bookcovers of their favorite books!
6. We are ready for ACCELERATED READER!!!
Mr. Malone and Mandy visited Delano Elementary to learn more about the Accelerated Reader
program. He has a lot of experience with this program and is very supportive. We are ready to roll with it!
7. We have OFFICE SPACE!!! Ms. Jones has found space for us in the art room! Ms. Jenna Vondran has graciously moved around her supplies and given us three shelves in her storage closet as well as a two drawer file cabinet. Mandy has purchased a box of white paper (5000 sheets) and 5 reams of florescent paper for us to use for flyers. We have also been assigned a copy code and set up an account with the school to use the school copier!!
And here are some updates from the teams:
- The Academic Innovation and Advocacy Team will be meeting on Saturday, September 10, at 1:00 p.m. for a brainstorming and planning session. We have already begun the recruitment process for volunteers for the new STAR tutoring program.
- PACE is discussing new swag for school. Working on getting pictures and short bios posted to the Friends of Peabody website of watchDOG members, as well as Peabody PTA board members.
- Room Parents should try to get teacher survey’s completed and we are still need six more room parents! Contact Tara Harris-Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can be a room parent.
- Membership has recorded 104 parent members and 5 teacher/ staff members! Please remind all parents and teachers to join! We want 100% participation! Email us at email@example.com if you want to join.
- The Fabulous Fundraisers are finalizing the PTA fundraising calendar which includes all the PTA fundraisers and Spirit Nights. The team is meeting and working on specifics for the Entertainment Book Sales Kick Off scheduled for Oct. 18 and the Silent Auction scheduled for Nov. 17. T-shirts will also be sold during these 30 days.
- The WatchDOGS have done some great recruiting and have a weekly rotation in place! Thanks Charlie Lands and Josh Spickler! Click here to learn more about WatchDOGS and how to join!
Keep up the great work! Peabody children will greatly benefit from all of our efforts!
-Mandy and Tiffany